Tuesday, July 5

Product Review: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

I've had this for a WHILE and I do mean a few months and it's a shame that I'm just now getting around to using it. On the top of the jar, it says "Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque with Sea Kelp, Argan Oil and Shea Butter". Under that it says "Dry, damaged hair, Heal, grow and strengthen".

It's kinda hard to find the directions on Shea Moisture products because they're labeled as "directions" or "how to use" or anything like that like most of the other hair care products are labeled. On the label it says: "Our all natural intense treatment masque deeply penetrates to moisturize and repair over-processed, dry, brittle or damaged hair. Leave on hair for 5-30 minutes, then thoroughly rinse, or leave in hair and use as a frizz-free moisturizing styling cream".

When I first picked up this product from Walgreens, I was originally going to use it as a leave in. I still thought of using it as a leave in until I remembered that it was a deep conditioner lol. When I used it this morning, I had already styled my hair with water and put my Dr. Miracle's on my edges and all that other stuff. Then I remembered that I didn't deep condition this week so I would go ahead and do that. (I sprayed a little Hawaiian Silky on it to lay my edges down too btw). I parted in 4 sections, wet my hair and applied. When I was applying, my hands felt sticky-ish. Granted it might have been from the product that was already left in, but when I used it as a leave in I didn't remember it as being sticky at all. After I applied to all four sections, I let it sit in the clips for about 30 minutes. Normally I would have left it in for at least an hour, but this deep conditioner made me want to wash it out like 5 minutes after I put it in. I need to deep condition though, especially since I just dyed my hair so I stuck it out and kept it in for 30 minutes.

When I rinsed it out, my hair felt.. a little on the dry side. Usually when I wash out any deep conditioner it feels some what moisturized, but not with this one. This is my initial product review and I'll do a part when I try it on wet hair immediately after washing.

Recap:
I don't think I would use this on dry hair. I used to deep condition on dry hair when I straightened my hair all the time and never had any problems. But this is a no go for me on dry hair.

My hair wasn't "clean" meaning I didn't co wash before putting it on, so the product I already had in might have interfered.

Left my hair a little on the dry side after rinsing out.

Photo courtesy of Target.com

2 comments:

Miss Esspi ♡ said...

Maybe you should give it another chance on wet hair. I just recently bought it as well and let it sit in my hair under a plastic cap for about an hour, and I loved the results!

Teesha said...

That's what I'm planning to do. Even if it doesn't cut it a s a deep conditioner for me, I like how it makes my ends feel when they're feeling a little dry. Thank you for your suggestion :)