Thursday, February 13

Product Review: Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream

This is another product that I had no interest in buying, pretty much an impulse buy at Wal-Mart quite a few months ago. As I'm typing this post, I've used up half of the jar trying to figure out if my hair loves it or hates it, what products I should and shouldn't use with it and everything in between.

I've tried every possible way (well not every way, but close to it) and I'm bringing you a product review for it!
For Natural Hair

Description:
Cantu for Natural Hair Coconut Curling Cream will define, condition and add manageability toyour curls, leaving them soft, shiny and deeply moisturized.  Made with 100% pure shea butter and formulated without chemicals or harsh ingredients, Cantu for Natural Hair restores your real, authentic beauty. Embrace your curly, kinky or wavy hair with Cantu for Natural Hair.  No Mineral Oil, Sulfate, Parabens, Silicone, Phthalates, Gluen, Paraffin, Propylene Glyco, PABA or DEA.

Directions:
Smooth onto damp hair section by section from the root down the hair shaft. Do not rinse out.  Can be used on dry hair to enhance curls.

First of all, let me start off by saying that this Cantu Coconut Curling Cream has a strong smell to it. It doesn't stink, but if you can't handle strong smells, I wouldn't recommend this for you. Not only that, but the smell lingers in your hair as well the first day or two. The consistency is thick. I can turn the jar upside down and it doesn't move.
For Natural Hair
Hopefully you can see how thick it is.. Especially in the last picture.
When I first started using this product, I applied it the same way that I apply my Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter Whipped Curling Creme; on wet (not soaking) hair and following it up with a butter and/or oil .(When I first started using this, I would apply only oil because it was just starting to get cold). Damp hair + this product + EVOO/Castor Oil on the ends = heavy yet defined hair. At this point I was retwisting my hair like twice a week and this just simply wasn't a product that I wanted to apply to my hair twice a week because of how heavy it was.

I recently just started using this again this week because I thought "why the hell not?". I sectioned off my hair as usual, dampened my hair and added EVOO/Argan oil to each section to help retain moisture, applied this product, then applied Ishimma's Hydration Hair Butter on the ends, finishing up with EVOO/Castor oil on the ends as well. (Sounds like a lot, but I was NOT playing when I said I wanted to retain length this winter lol. Plus I figured I could use the extra protection because I knew I would be wearing my hair down and out). That next day when I took my twists out though?!!? My hair was soft, defined but still heavy :(  Also, I've found that my hair isn't as defined with second day hair.
As you can see in the pic on the left, the front and top of my hair isn't as defined as it was yesterday.
Does this mean I hate the product because I have crappy second day hair with it? Not necessarily.I don't think I would prefer to use this as a styler, but it works wonderfully as a moisturizer.
Final Verdict: 7/10

Have YOU tried this product? Do you like it? 

No comments: