Wednesday, December 31

2014 Hits and Misses

To be completely honest, 2014 just hasn't been the year for me. I've suffered emotionally and spiritually and my hair also suffered. Looking back over the pictures I have in my old phone, I just wasn't impressed with the state of my hair overall. The things I wanted to work on, I didn't. Life just simply took over and my hair took a backseat. You live and you learn; my hair journey is a learning process. So, without further blabbering:

Hits:
  • Biotin - Even though I'm still trying to take it on a consistent basis, I have noticed a slight difference in my hair. I still have quite a few pills left, so I plan on finishing the bottle within the next few months. 
  • Drinking water daily - Healthy wise, and hair wise, it makes a difference.
  • Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner - In my review I stated that at that particular moment, I wouldn't repurchase, but that has changed. I think it works better during the colder months for me than in warmer months.
  • Coconut oil - I've went a few months without my coconut oil, and my hair could definitely tell. I use this mainly for pre-poos (and lately on the scalp for my leave out around my sew-in) and it definitely helps with retaining moisture on the days I shampoo my hair
  • Castor oil - Yes it's heavy, yes it smells, but this oil is my ride or die lol. It helps aid in my growth and helps me seal my ends. I believe I'm going to start adding a butter on top of the castor oil
  • Pantene Truly Natural Hair Deep Conditioner - This stuff = amazing. That's all I have to say.
  • Herbal Essences Drama Clean Shampoo - I use this when I need to clarify. During the summer, this stuff saved my hair from the product build up.
  • Keeping a hair calendar - This has been especially useful when I had my sew in to keep track of when I flat ironed my leave out so that I wouldn't further damage it. It could still use some tweaking, but this has been a definite hit!
Misses:
  • Ali Moda Customer service - There's a line between really caring about your customers and wanting to fix whatever issue they have and straight up harassing them. That line was definitely crossed.
  • V05 conditioners - I've loved these for a few years, mainly because they were cheap and always on sale. However, I've read many articles talking about how this product is banned in California because some of the ingredients can cause health issues. Not only that, the product does nothing for my hair anymore. It's basically like scented water for my hair.
  • Maintaining my ends/retaining length - This was one of my main goals for the year and I failed MISERABLY. I've been growing out my color, and everyone knows that with lighter color, is more of an upkeep. Now that the color is now strictly on my ends for the most part, it's the driest part of my hair. It breaks off just as "fast" as it's growing and it's kinda frustrating. 
  • Curly hairstyles in general - As I've stated before, I just wasn't too impressed with my quality of hairstyles this year. My curls looked..eh. I know there's a lot of things that ties into this, products included.
Honorable Mentions aka "Eh"
What were your "hits" and "misses" for the year?

No comments: